Pages

Friday, January 10, 2014

Beshalach: God Separates and Sends Us Out of the Darkness

This week's d'var is up on New Voices. Last week's d'var on Bo was by far my most popular, and definitely on my top 3 list of my d'vars so far. I'm not so sure about this one, as it's very much along the lines of the "motivational" d'vars that I keep writing. What I really like are the ones with deep spiritual meanings that really interpret the text, like last week's and my d'vars on Bereishit and Noah which can be found here.

Unfortunately, I didn't really have the time to put into this week's dvar. I've been extremely busy this week writing up a storm. First, I signed up for a website called Freelancer. I've been getting these pretty big assignments that pay terribly there, but I'm getting experience and I need the money. Then, I volunteered to write a post for the Pardes blog. I'm a huge fan of bonsai, which you'll see when you read it. On top of it all, I'm working on applying to JTS for Rabbinical School, not something I was expecting to do this year, so I'm also busy writing my admissions essays. Maybe after the whole admissions process I'll post modified versions of those essays up here for you to see. I'm pretty much writing non-stop, and I enjoy most of it except maybe the freelancer stuff.

Anyway, when I started writing this week's d'var I started on the topic of the separation between the Jewish people and other nations. I think it's an interesting topic, and the interpretation that I had was probably going to be a pretty new one. However, as I was writing it I realized it might be a little too controversial for New Voices. I wasn't saying anything along the lines of "Jews are the best", but I could see it as being very easily construed that way. If I watered it down, it became wishy-washy and not valuable. So I scrapped the idea for now and went with what you'll read.

So go read it:
 http://newvoices.org/2014/01/10/splitting-the-sea-and-other-personal-miracles/

No comments:

Post a Comment