Pages

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Neutral Gendered Language of Hashem

I'm not really a fan of gender neutral language. I know it's the thing to do nowadays, and I've been reprimanded by the editor of New Voices magazine a few times for forgetting about it. It's not that I'm not all for being fair and making everyone feel a part of my writing. I don't think its a matter of feminism. I'm a man, and so when I think, write, or speak (especially in the non-gender neutral languages like Hebrew) I automatically go to the masculine forms. I don't think it has anything to do with society having put down women for centuries and creating a culture of masculine dominated language. Sure, that can be true in some cases, but in general I just think it's because the person that is writing thinks in their own gender. That's it.

There is one case where I do think it's important to take up gender neutral language, and that is when speaking of Hashem. I know that Hashem can be considered to have both masculine and feminine attributes, but I still don't think its appropriate to refer to Hashem as one or the other. Hashem is neither male or female, and using one of those terms is an attempt to define the undefinable. (Interesting side note though: One Rabbi once told me she believes that Hashem has to be a man because a woman could never allow all the terrible events of history to have occurred). Anyway, refusing to use a gendered term when writing creates some difficulty for a writer.

Usually I craft my words carefully, only referring to Hashem by the term Hashem, or God depending on who I'm writing for. You see it above, it's pretty much a habit of mine now. However there are cases where it just can't be done. So for awhile I played around with the most neutral of terms I could think of "It". "It" felt wrong, especially as a fan of Martin Buber who teaches that we can either objectify with "I-It", or form deep relationships through "I-Thou". (such an unfulfilling summary of one of my favorite texts).

I continued to explore, considering "Thou", which does work somewhat, but would is to close to "you", which could work and would carry an interesting theological statement that I don't think would go against Buber at all. In the end though, the term I've chosen is "The". The Hashem I believe in is both immanent and transcendant, Hashem is everything and beyond. "The" describes this perfectly I feel, and thus, when I am forced to turn Hashem into a pronoun, I choose to use "The". "The desires" and "Hashem entered the Mishkan Theself".

I don't know if this is the best term, as with any of my beliefs or practices, it isn't set in stone. I'm in pursuit of what is objectively best, but I can only do this through a subjective lens, meaning I need to be able to change my ideas if something is found to work better. I would love to hear what you have to say on this, help me find the best option.

No comments:

Post a Comment